Living Democracy - An Introduction to the Centre for Civic Education of the State of North Rhine-Westphalia
Knowing political and social structures. Understanding democratic principles. Being up-to-date on current affairs: These are requirements for getting involved with politics.
The Centre for Civic Education of the State of North Rhine-Westphalia promotes and supports citizens in obtaining these requirements. It offers civic education on site, organizes events and supplies a variety of online and offline media sources about history and politics. It encourages political discussion and serves as an advisor for memorial places in North Rhine-Westphalia.
The Centre for Civic Education acts above party lines and strengthens the democratic and political culture in North Rhine-Westphalia - since 1946.
Fundamental goals of the Centre for Civic Education are:
- to mediate and promote democratic principles
- to increase political participation on regional, national and European levels
- to enhance political participation of immigrants
- to provide instructions for the competent use of modern media
- to keep track of demographic change and its consequences for the relationship between generations
The Centre for Civic Education is part of the Ministry of Culture and Science of the German State of North Rhine-Westphalia.
What is Civic Education?
Learning from history
Civic Education in Germany and elsewhere
State parliament of North Rhine-Westphalia
The "Landtag", the state parliament of North Rhine-Westphalia, offers some additional information about our state.